Artisan Bread

This is a great recipe for all those that are allergic to gluten, one lady tells me she and her grandchildren eat it who have celiac disease

450 grams of flour. (This equals about 3 cups but it is better if you weigh it)
1 cup sourdough or 1/4 tsp. of yeast
1 1/2 tsp. of salt
Mix this all together in a bowl
333 grams of water  ( This equals about 1 1/2 cups of water)
1 Tablespoon of sweetener.   (Sugar, Xagave, Honey which ever you chose)

I have found when it comes to sourdough bread you need to make it soft and pliable, but not sticky enough to stick to your fingers, so you may have to adjust a little.  If I use sour dough then I only add about  3 1/2 cups of flour.  When I use the Bosch I just make sure it cleans off the side of the bowl.

Put the water in the bowl with the flour mixture and sweetener.  Mix all together with a sour dough whisk. You need to mix it until the water and flour are all mixed together.  Put the dough in a bowl that is smaller at the bottom than the top and has a lid. I don't use an expensive one. It has to be a large enough bowl that this will rise about 3 times it's size. Now let the dough rise for at least 8 hours After the 8 hours dump dough out on your floured counter.  Flour on top of the dough. Fold in all sides about 7 times turn over in the same bowl, so that the smooth side of the dough is on the top. Place the dough on a well greased piece of parchment paper that is pushed down in the bowl the same bowl you used to rise it in the first time, just make sure it is cleaned. Cover and let rise for another 2 hours. This will make it very easy for you to pick up and put in a hot pan. Put your La Cloche pan or ceramic pan with a tight fitting lid You will need a tall pan with a tight fitting lid. This pan has been put in your oven and pre-heated to 400 degrees about 15 minutes.  Take out your pan and carefully lift in your bread. Be careful to lift gently so that your bread doesn't fall. Cook for 30 minutes, then take lid off and cook for 10-15 minutes longer of until your bread is golden brown. Do not over cook. You can watch the first time you cook it then you will know exactly how long you need to brown it. Your whole wheat bread will take longer.  I knead my whole wheat bread in the Bosch Mixer for at least 8 minutes.  You need to mix the gluten well.  This is the only way to to Whole Wheat!

You can make this a lot of different ways. I do a sweet bread. In this bread because it has so many chips I add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. After I mix the flour and water together, I add 1/2 of a cup of white chocolate  and 1/2 cup of cinnamon chips.  Then I let it rise the 8 hours. I do another bread by adding 1 tbsp. Parmesan blend and a teaspoon of pizza sauce mix. You can use black cherry soda pop as the water and mix in you white chocolate chips and dried cherries.  Have fun and experiment.

Comments