HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE

Canning reminds me a lot of my Mother. I grew up in a large family. Providing for and feeding my family was a big job for my parents. We lived a on a farm and Dad didn't make a lot of money.Canning fruit and vegetables was one way we could help. I have a lot of fond memories with my Mom because of the time we spent together canning.Today I thought back on our experiences as I helped my daughter can her own fruit.


I got these apples from a neighbor that doesn't spray her trees. She didn't use them all so she offered me what was left. I have tried a lot of different varieties and the Red Delicious seem to be the sweetest, but you can use whatever apple you prefer.


I cut the apples into quarters. There is no need to core them but cut away any blemishes. I had to remove a few worm holes from my apples. Fill a large pan with apples and cover them with water. Bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes or until tender. You will know they are ready when they begin to change in color.




Use a slotted spoon or colander to remove the apples from the pan. Save the water the apples have boiled in. We will need it at a later time.


I am using two Bosch attachments to grind the apples. The Berry Press and the Meat Grinder. The Berry Press will attach to the end of the meat grinder and that whole assembly will then attach to the Bosch. Once the attachment is in place put the apples in the square dish and push them into the grinder with the plunger. It is so easy that you can have your grandchildren help, little children will think that they amazing because they can make applesauce.

A less expensive option is the Victorio Strainer which is manual. (Make sure if you use this you cook you apples longer to make the process easier)




The peels and cores will be emptied out the end of the grinder, and the apple sauce will come out of the underside of it. The Victorio Food strainer empties in a similar manner.

Comments