HOW TO MAKE APPLES AND APPLE PIE FILLING

If you look at the blog below you will see some beautiful apples in the bottles by the applesauce.  When I put my apples up I just use the apple peeler corer slicer.  If you don't have one, you can get one at the Bosch Store in Orem.  I just cut them in half right down the middle once I have cored them and sliced them.  Then I stuff them in my quart jar and just add water.  I wipe off the top rim and then I put the lid on the jar, which I have boiled.  I tighten down the lids, then I water bath can them. I put the water up over the bottles.  I boil them for 15 minutes once the water is at a rolling boil, I turn the burner down.  I boil on a number 9 then I turn down to a number 7, so that the water is still boiling.  After the apples are done.  I put them on my pantry shelf, and use them all year long.  I make apple crisp, apple cobbler that is found on this blog under peach cobbler.  For the apple pie I take 6 bottles of apples.  I strain them through a strainer.  I put all the apples in a pan then I add 3/4 cup of flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons of lemon, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. salt. I mix all together and warm in the pan.  I add a little of the juice that I have strained back in the filling,  (The rest of the juice I add to another juice that I am serving that night.  It is great.) I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup.  Then mix it all together.  Once it is all done.  I pour into the pie.  This makes 4 pies.  You can get my recipe for the crust on the apple pie blog below.  You will love this and it will save you alot of money when it comes to buying apple pie filling.  My family likes it tart so if you want to add another 1/2 cup of sugar you can do that.  Just taste it then decide.  I put about 1 Tablespoon of butter sliced on the top before I put my top shell on.

Comments

  1. my wife and I are now going to spend all of our weekends from now on looking for ingredients here in Germany to make at least one item every weekend from your blog!! It's pretty great

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment