BEST EVER CHERRY PIE

I went into my neighbor's orchard and picked some pie cherries.  Cherry pie has never been our favorite.  But it makes a lot of difference when that pie is fresh. He can't sale them because people are not into pie cherries.  My family wasn't liking it much either, then I made some.  Exceptional!!!!

 First my dear husband picked all the cherries, then he pitted them all.  I know he got the difficult job.  But he was willing to do it and I was grateful for the help.   Doesn't it look like you want to take a big bite.
 I like things tart so I made my own recipe.  It was delicious especially with a big scoop of ice cream.
 Pie Crust is: 3 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/3 cup shortening (I use 1 stick of butter which is 1/2 cup then I add the rest shortening)
Mix through hands until little balls form, then add:
1 egg
1 teaspoon vinegar
7 tablespoons of cold water
These are to be mixed in a seperate bowl and added to above mixture.  Then mix with hands until all ingredients are wet.  If not wet enough add a little water.  If too wet sprinkle a little flour to roll out your crust. I use a piece of parchment paper to roll the pie crust out on and I put an old nylon stocking over my rolling pin so that the dough doesn't stick to it.  (Yes the nylon stocking is washed.)
 Pie Filling is: 5-6 cups of fresh pitted cherries
1 dash of salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp lemon
3 Tablespoons of cornstarch
Pour into pie shell and then put the top of the shell on.  Make sure that you leave a little hanging over the edge so that it can be put under the bottom layer. If you do this the pie will not leak.  Make sure you slice little holes in the top.  Do Not Slice To The Bottom, Only On The Top. My son in law did this one.  I love the heart it added a romantic touch.

Comments

  1. I love the heart shape! & I am one of the few who LOVES cherry pie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment