THANKSGIVING STUFFING

This recipe is one that I made up and have used for years:
1 loaf of white bread  (homemade preferred)
1 loaf of wheat bread (homemade preferred)
1 stock of velery
l large onion
1 package of mushrooms
Dripping from you giblets
1 stick of butter

Cut your bread into little squares.   I take each piece of bread and cut it in 5 strips, then I turn an cut in to little square s about 5 times across the bread slice.  I take the white bread and pour it on a cookie sheet,  I take the wheat bread and pour it on another cookie sheet.  I put them in on oven on 400 degrees.  I toast them until all sides are hard. So I check them a few times and stir them so they are all evenly cooked.  I cook them 1/2 to 1 hour.  No sides can be soft, they are just slightly brown.  I then pour them both in a big bowl and mix altogether.   I put 1 stick of butter in a frying pan and melt.  I dice a large onion in my alligator and about 12 long celery sticks.  I use the small blade in the alligator. I almost use a whole celery stock.  It makes perfect little squares as you can see.  I also slice one container of mushrooms. I saute' this all together in a large fry pan.   After the celery and onions are soft I use the dripping off the turkey giblets that I have boiled in a small pan.  I feel the fry pan up with the drippings then I add water.  I add about 1 quart of water.  2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning, and 2 Tablespoons of chicken bullion. Taste if it needs salt add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt.  Make sure all the bread is damp.  If it isn't you will need to add a little water.  Take this bowl full of your stuffing and pour in your slow cooker.  Cook for about 1 1/2 hours on low.  Or cook in a 9' by 13' pan covered well with aluminum foil, on 375 degrees for 1/2 to 1 hour until good and hot.  This is my husbands favorite thing about Thanksgiving Dinner.

Comments